Custom Furniture Components
National Museum of African American History and Culture
The National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) is a Smithsonian Institution museum established in December 2003. The museum’s building, designed by David Adjaye, is on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. It has close to 37,000 objects in its collection related to such subjects as community, family, the visual and performing arts, religion, civil rights, slavery, and segregation.
Sterling Millworks was hired by Kiwi Custom Carpentry to mill all of the parts used to construct seating inside the museum.
Photo credit: Alan Karchmer/NMAAHC
St. Andrew’s Church
St. Andrew’s Church was built in 1766 in California, Maryland. It is considered to be among the most unusual of Maryland colonial churches by virtue of its twin west towers embellished by brick quoin, the inset portico, the two convex tapering columns, the palladian or venetian window, the fluted lonic interior columns the two-level gallery, and the reredos. Tom Moore of Sterling Millworks restored the building and recreated custom architectural elements, mouldings, and doors to maintain historical accuracy.
Sotterley Plantation is a historic landmark plantation house in Hollywood, St. Mary’s County, Maryland. It is a long 1-1⁄2-story, nine-bay frame building, covered with wide, beaded clapboard siding and wood shingle roof, overlooking the Patuxent River. It was once the home of George Plater (1735–1792), the sixth Governor of Maryland, and Herbert L. Satterlee (1863-1947), a New York business lawyer and son-in-law of J.P. Morgan. Sotterley was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2000.
Sterling Millworks produced exterior beaded siding, structural and architectural elements for restoration on the building exteriors.
All Faith Church
All Faith Church is an historic church located at Charlotte Hall, St. Mary's County, Maryland built between 1766 and 1769. It is a one-story brick, laid in Flemish bond, building with a wood shingle roof. It is one of the best examples of preserved Georgian ecclesiastical design and construction in St. Mary's County. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Tom Moore of Sterling Millworks restored the building's interior and recreated fluted columns and other architectural elements.
Villa de Alpacas Carriage House and Stables
Villa de Alpacas is home to the last Victorian Carriage House and Stable in Prince Georges County, Maryland. Built in the 1870s, this building was painstakingly restored by Tom Moore of Sterling Millworks, and is now home to Villa de Alpacas’ Fiber Studio as well as the Sterling Millworks shop.